Saturday, September 12, 2009
talk trails into tattered scraps
The young man walks by himself, fast but not fast enough, far but not far enough (faces slide out of sight, talk trails into tattered scraps, footsteps tap faster in alleys); he must catch the last subway, the streetcar, the bus, run up the gangplanks of all the steamboats, register at all the hotels, work in the cities, answer the want ads, learn the trades, take up the jobs, live in all the boardinghouses, sleep in all the beds. One bed is not enough,one job is not enough, one life is not enough...
Introduction to "USA" trilogy, John Dos Passos
[Wabash Avenue below Randolph Street]
- ► 2011 (107)
- ► 2010 (115)
- if that ruins your life
- i smile and pass by
- Two new shows in October, at Myopic Books and Dove...
- i want to live like ipod people, i want to do what...
- [Dearborn Avemue at Randolph Street]
- talk trails into tattered scraps
- reminded of the beauty of gesture
- like honey in the trees
- even the buildings
- until all that remains
- such a pitch of tedium
- moving cross the borders
- air smelled of burned rubber and melted wires
- somehow lurking behind this absence
- no one hears his own remarks as prose
- ▼ September (17)